Новая фраза которая может войти в новый словарь? "flat out = Быть очень занятым"

• 33K Просмотров
  • Последнее сообщение 04 мая 2008 01:23
Robert написал 06 февраля 2003 01:11

Сортировка: Стандарт | Новые | Голоса
П. П. написал 06 февраля 2003 01:12

Поиск в Google не дал контекстов, подтверждающих это значение. Есть известное flat-out wrong ("заведомо/кругом неправ"), есть to go flat out в не совсем ясном для меня значении (Venus Williams to go flat out in her next match). Какой контекст у Вас?

Mohan Rajagopal написал 06 февраля 2003 01:12

Возможные русские эквиваленты: (работать, играть и т.д.) с полной отдачей; (жать,сделать и т.д.) на всю катушку.

Mohan Rajagopal написал 06 февраля 2003 01:13

I do not think that "flat out" has anything to do with being busy. The following quotation from a dictionary of idiomatic expressions should clear things up. It explains both what it means to say that Venus Williams will go flat out in her match, and what it means to say that the riders went flat out. From the Oxford Dictionary of Current Idiomatic English. Vol. 2. English Idioms. flat out: with all the speed, energy, determination etc. one can (from pressing the accelerator pedal of a car right down till it is flat, level with the floor). V: be, go, ride, work. Denis had allowed Nur Johan a few healthy gallops, but never before had he ridden him flat out. ARG. I suppose they (the police car) were just patrolling and saw us immediately after getting the wireless message. Blast their guts. We'll cook them yet: we've got five miles an hour more than they have, flat out, and in any case they're not taking me alive. HD. My father tended to be influenced by the opinion he'd heard or read most recently. If he had just been down a coal mine - he was a vicar in a coal-mining village in Northamptonshire - he tended to be flat out on the side of the miners. L. If we worked flat out on the circuits all night, there was a chance we might have the automatic cut-out working again by morning.

П. П. написал 06 февраля 2003 01:13

Мне кажется, что во всех примерах (flat-out wrong, to go flat out, to work flat out) мы имеем дело с функцией усиления, выраженной в разговорном, неформальном регистре. Набор адекватных вариантов перевода довольно широк, мне нравится, например, to go flat out - выложиться. А пример I am very busy, flat out - видимо все-таки недоразумение, т.к. здесь тоже просто усиление.

Robert написал 06 февраля 2003 01:14

Indeed "flat out" sounds like an emphasis for adjectives. The thing is I heard that phrase only in this sentense verbatim: "I am very busy. Flat out (absolutely)". I guess i should pick up some more english. cheers

Robert написал 06 февраля 2003 01:15

Please check out the following link which i found in Google: http://www.uspsprocycling.com/02news/tdf02_0712_fa.htm "...I talked with many of the riders today and all of them said the same thing. Yesterday was the first real day of the Tour. Meaning, it was flat out at the start, flat out in the middle, and flat out at the finish. George Hincapie said the first 1.5 hours yesterday was non-stop as every team and every rider attacked. No one was sure what Once was going to do so they decided to test them out. Levi, Kevin, and Bobby all told me the same, that yesterday was hell."

Robert написал 06 февраля 2003 01:16

Это выражения я слышал довольно часто в Австралии на работе. - How are you going? - Very busy, flat out absolutely. .. I couldn't find this expression in Lingvo, so i thought it was either a new phrase or the ozzy dialect. According to context "flat out" should mean "busy" or "to have no free time" (which is basically the same). Has anyone in this forum come accross this phrase?

П. Палажченко написал 12 марта 2003 06:16

Свежий пример: Prime Minister Tony Blair said today that he was working "flat out" to persuade the U.N. to approve a second resolution with six conditions authorizing conflict.
(New York Times). То есть "изо всех сил", и подтверждается толкование, к которому мы пришли в ходе обсуждения на Форуме.

Beholding написал 14 августа 2003 12:50

а вам не кажется что перевод - "быть загруженным", т.е. как по времени, так и по сложности выполняемой работы.

хоть я и профан, но имхо удовлетворяет обоим рассматриваемым позициям

Orava написал 04 мая 2008 01:23

Мне кажется, подходящий русский эквивалент - "пластаться".

Close