Помогите перевести "deadpan audacity"

• 5,9K Просмотров
  • Последнее сообщение 02 февраля 2011 02:34
Natalyy написал 12 сентября 2005 09:22

Уважаемые коллеги,

Помогите, пожалуйста, перевести выражение "deadpan audacity", оно взято из статьи знаменитого социолога Роберта К. Мертона, в которой они критикует своего коллегу Яна Митрофа за то, что он использовал в своей работе многие из его мыслей, обильно цитировал, а вот выводов Мертона не привел, да еще и исказил его мысли. Вообщем, Мертон непривычно для научной статьи страстно "посылает" Митрофа и сначала определяет его действия как "deadpan audacity", а потом говорит, что точнее будет сказать "chutzpah".

Отдельно каждое из слов "deadpan" и "audacity" вроде бы понятно и вместе получается:

"наглость, дерзость с бесстрастным выражением лица, с напускной серьезностью"

Но как сказать короче или красивее, а точнее по-русски?
"хорошая мина при плохой игре" - несколько не то...

==========================================

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/

audacity
noun
[+ to infinitive] It took a lot of audacity (= bravery) to stand up and criticize the chairman.
DISAPPROVING He had the audacity (= rudeness) to blame me for his mistake.

audacity
noun
unusually strong and esp. rude confidence in yourself
Our mayor has the audacity to claim credit for improvements he had nothing to do with.

deadpan
[Show phonetics]
adjective, adverb
characterized by a serious facial expression, esp. when intended to be humorous
As an overweight neighbor who drops in periodically, Karen Vaccaro offers a funny deadpan performance.

Сортировка: Стандарт | Новые | Голоса
Natalyy написал 12 сентября 2005 09:29

Пока искала перевод "чуцпы" зашла на какой-то израильский форум. Скопирую определение чуцпы: Today's Word: Chutzpah (Noun) http://www.israel-forum.org/showthread.php?s=2f49b88ff7349c7dd9297aa8aa883eda&threadid=9602&pagenumber=4

Pronunciation: ['hUts-pа or hАts-pа]

Definition 1: Trying to define today's word is a cottage industry
(just check the Web). The classical definition of chutzpah is what
it takes for a man who has murdered his parents to ask the court for leniency because he is an orphan. More specifically, it is a kind of temerity, cheek, a highly self-confident kind of audacity.

Usage 1: "Chutzpah" is not quite "gall," "nerve," or "temerity."
Rather, it is a kind of self-confidence that goes beyond anyone's
expectations, that catches you off guard. All the English words
carry a slight pejorative connotation, as does the original Hebrew
word; the Yiddish word, as it is used in English, is basically
positive. A person with chutzpah is a chutzpahnik.

Suggested Usage: Here is a story that explains everything. A little
old lady boards a crowded bus. Holding her hand to her chest before a seated girl, she says, "If you knew what I have, you would give me your seat." The girl gives up her the seat to the old lady. It is hot, so the girl takes out a fan and begins fanning herself. The woman again says, "If you knew what I have, you would give me that fan." The girl gives her the fan. Next she says to the bus driver, "Stop, I want to get off here." The bus driver explains that he can't drop her off before the next regular stop. With her hand across her chest, she says once again, "If you knew what I have, you would let me off right here." The bus driver pulls over, opens the door and lets her out. As she exits the bus, he asks, "Madam, what is it you have?" The old woman turns to him and says, "Chutzpah."

Etymology: Yiddish khutspe from Mishnaic Hebrew HuSpa "insolence" from HaSap "to be insolent." (Thanks today to Lyn Laboriel for having the chutzpah to suggest we run today's word.)

≈Dr. Language, yourDictionary.com

Aviator (LingvoDa) написал 13 сентября 2005 09:08

Keeping in mind that a "deadpan" is mentioned here, so that the Russian equivalent should reflect something that has to do with a face expression, I'd still go with something like the following:

бессовестная/беспардонная наглость

I will keep looking for something more colorful (it is most often the case that ideas like that come unexpected), and, I'm sure our dear colleagues would throw in their two rupiahs

PS You can also find the word "chutzpah" (хутцпа) in the Unsystematic Dictionary authored by our honorable host, Pavel Ruslanovich Palazhchenko.

Natalyy написал 14 сентября 2005 12:04

Спасибо за ответ! Мне тоже пришел в голову похожий вариант: "обескураживающая наглость"... Или даже "холодная наглость", но это несколько не по-русски.

Aviator (LingvoDa) написал 14 сентября 2005 05:54

Да, кстати, название фильма Cool as ice перевели как Наглый, как танк,
что не совсем верно, но забавно!

к-и написал 15 сентября 2005 12:07

Мне понравилось, как в "Бэтмэне" кто-то назвал г-на Freeze "Отморозком".
По-моему, мило и кстати получилось. ))

V. (LingvoDa) написал 21 февраля 2007 01:41

Natalyy
Пока искала перевод "чуцпы"

Произносится это (идиш) слово "ххххуцпа" - с гортанно-рокочущим "х", примерно как в грузинских словах "бахахи цхалши хихинепс".

А по части перевода - кудос Авиатору - я бы предложил "бессовестная/беспардонная наглость", "невозмутимая/непробиваемая/дремучая наглость".

У французов это называется il a le culot de ... (примерно сооветствует английскому he has the nerve to...)

fasol написал 19 ноября 2010 01:07

невыразимая наглость

english language (LingvoDa) написал 19 ноября 2010 03:51

deadpan - не "невыразимый"

pyc^aH (LingvoDa) написал 19 ноября 2010 12:40

Предлагаю:
наглость, граничащая с инфантилизмом.
Т.к. deadpan делается, когда сказал или сделал что-то смешное.

Anna Gray написал 30 декабря 2010 12:11

Morjovv написал 02 февраля 2011 02:34

невозмутимая смелость

Close