Water under the bridge

• 16K Просмотров
  • Последнее сообщение 15 марта 2016 01:35
magnolia_m написал 31 марта 2007 11:51

Встретила буквально сегодня выражение, в лингво не нашла. зато нашла вот тут:
http://www.australia.ru/aussie_slang/w.html

Water under the bridge -- законченный, сделанный, готовый, выполненный
this work is water under the bridge -- эта работа выполнена

там еще целая куча выражений, возможно чего-то из них тоже нет в лингво(?). все идет под пометкой "австралийский сленг", но я "Water under the bridge" встретила во вполне американском издании.

Сортировка: Стандарт | Новые | Голоса
vtora написал 01 апреля 2007 12:23

вообще это значит "что упало, то пропало", "прошлого не воротишь",
this work is water under the bridge - "эту работу уже не переделаешь, проще забыть"

Lingvисты написал 01 апреля 2007 03:05

Пожалуй, мы это утянем в "крылатые цитаты"!

Bлaдимиp написал 01 апреля 2007 06:03

+1

Буквально сегодня слушал по дороге на работу:

I've been burned, I've been cheated
But this old heart's still beating
Ain't no big deal
It's just whiskey under the bridge

От замены воды на виски смысл не изменяется...

*Irisha* написал 01 апреля 2007 10:34

Да, пожалуй, стоит это включить в тот раздел, потому что хорошо подходит для "Дела давно минувших дней" ("Дела давно минувших дней,/
Преданья старины глубокой." - Пушкин "Руслан и Людмила". Т.е. я не совсем согласна с предложенным vtora "что упало".

sascha написал 01 апреля 2007 10:49

"Следствие закончено, забудьте"

*Irisha* написал 01 апреля 2007 10:50

+ "кануть в лету"

+ "много воды утекло с тех пор": I saw him maybe three times in the 12 years following, but we never seemed to bond. Too much water had passed under the bridge, and he still saw me as a child.

*Irisha* написал 01 апреля 2007 12:05

+ было да быльем поросло/вешними водами все пронесло/предать забвению (let's forget about it, it's all water under the bridge/let's just call it water under the bridge/to abandon smth to water under the bridge)

vtora написал 01 апреля 2007 12:09

We say "water under the bridge" to refer to past experiences and conflicts which we have decided to forget. This idiom compares these memories of the past to water which has passing under [the] bridge. Example: "Aren't you still angry about what he said?" Answer: "No, that was a long time ago. It's all water under the bridge."
http://www.goenglish.com/WaterUnderTheBridge.asp

something that has happened and cannot be changed. I should probably have asked for more money when I was offered the job, but hey, that's water under the bridge now.
http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/water+under+the+bridge

If something belongs to the past and isn't important or troubling any more, it is water under the bridge.
http://www.usingenglish.com/reference/idioms/water+under+the+bridge.html

If you say that an event or incident is water under the bridge, you mean that it has happened and cannot now be changed, so there is no point in worrying about it any more. He was relieved his time in jail was over and regarded it as water under the bridge. Collins Cobuild

water over the dam
Also, water under the bridge. Something that is over and done with, especially an unfortunate occurrence. For example, Last year's problems with delivery are water over the dam, or Never mind that old quarrel; that's water under the bridge. These metaphoric phrases allude to water that has flowed over a spillway or under a bridge and thus is gone forever. The first term was first recorded in 1797; the variant dates from the late 1800s.
http://www.answers.com/topic/water-over-the-dam

+ http://www.phrases.org.uk/bulletin_board/13/messages/1464.html

Alexei G. написал 02 апреля 2007 11:22

vtora
something that has happened and cannot be changed.

Поезд ушел.

vtora написал 02 апреля 2007 11:31

"Поздняк метаться"

V. написал 02 апреля 2007 01:28

+ это все "дела давно минувших дней"
+ забудьте
+ все это быльем поросло

В. Беликов написал 02 апреля 2007 01:34

Фарш невозможно провернуть назад,
Корову из него не восстановишь

Lingvисты написал 02 апреля 2007 02:42

"Поздняк метаться" уже предлагался, но в несколько другом ряду (перед смертью не надышишься). Вот здесь.

vtora написал 02 апреля 2007 03:21

"поздняк метаться" = it's spilled milk = it's water under the bridge

pavelpal написал 02 апреля 2007 03:31

Water under the bridges, а цитата ли это? Может быть, просто вошедшая в язык метафора.

И просто не могу отказать себе в удовольствии обратиться к светлой памяти знаменитого продюсера Сэма Голдвина (of Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer fame. Сначала о нем, потом - почему он "наш кадр".

Famed for his relentless ambition, bad temper and genius for publicity, Samuel Goldwyn became Hollywood's leading "independent" producer -- largely because none of his partners could tolerate him for long. Born Shmuel (or Schmuel) Gelbfisz, probably in 1879, in the Jewish section of Warsaw, he was the eldest of six children of a struggling used-furniture dealer. In 1895 he made his way to England, where relatives Anglicized his name to Samuel Goldfish. There he begged (or stole) enough money for a ticket in steerage across the Atlantic. He reached the US, probably via Canada, in 1898. He gravitated to Gloversville, New York, in the Adirondack foothills, which was then the capital of the US leather glove industry; he became one of the country's most successful glove salesmen. After moving his base of operations to Manhattan and marrying the sister of Jesse L. Lasky, who was then a theatrical producer, Goldfish convinced Lasky and Cecil B. DeMille to go into film production. The new company's first film, The Squaw Man (1914), was one of the first features made in Hollywood; the company later became the nucleus of what would later become Paramount Pictures. As his marriage fell apart, Goldfish dissolved his partnership with Lasky. His next enterprise was the Goldwyn Co., founded in 1916 and named for himself and his partners, brothers Edgar Selwyn and Archibald Selwyn--Goldfish liked the name so much he took it for his own. The Goldwyn Co.'s stars included Mabel Normand, Madge Kennedy and Will Rogers, but its most famous legacy was its "Leo the Lion" trademark, which was adopted adopted by its successor company, Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer (MGM). Goldwyn himself was ousted from his own company before the merger, which was why his name became part of MGM even though he himself had nothing to do with the company. After his firing Goldwyn would have nothing to do with partners and went into independent production on his own, and for 35 years was the boss and sole proprietor of his own production company, a mini-studio specializing in expensive "quality" films, distributed initially by United Artists and later by RKO. His contract actors at various times included Vilma Bánky, Ronald Colman, Eddie Cantor, Gary Cooper, David Niven and Danny Kaye. In some cases, Goldwyn collected substantial fees for "lending" his stars to other producers. Touted by publicists for his "Goldwyn touch" and loathed by many of his hirelings for his habit of ordering films recast, rewritten and recut, Goldwyn is best remembered for his films that teamed director William Wyler and cinematographer Gregg Toland.

Знаменитое голдвиновское We've all (I've) passed a lotof water since then (безусловно, контаминация water under the bridges: Sam Goldwyn's "We've all passed a lot of water since then" [is] a mix up of "A lot of water has passed under the bridge" - цитата, известная многим американцам, иногда с атрибуцией, иногда без. Вот отрывок из воспоминаний о Голдвине:

Sam Goldwyn was perhaps the most vivid, an eccentric and very thoughtful man who loved reminiscing about his great risks -- surely "The Best Years of Our Lives" was one of the most remarkable -- but also relished the fact that neither the industry nor the filmgoing public could ever quite figure him out. When I prepared to leave, he even asked me if I had picked up any new "Goldwynisms" -- his famous malaprops and non sequitors. I told him I couldn't recall any, so he offered up a few stray ones. He told me of a quarrel he'd had in recent years with director William Wyler, adding, "That's all forgotten, of course. ... I've passed a lot of water since then." (Peter Bart, Variety 100)

Для развлечения публики - другие, менее известные цитаты из Голдвина:

"Pictures are for entertainment, messages should be delivered by Western Union."
"A verbal contract isn't worth the paper it's written on."
"In two words: im-possible."
"My wife's hands are very beautiful. I'm going to have a bust made of them."
"Include me out."
"Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined."
"When you're a star, you have to take the bitter with the sour."
"If you can't give me your word of honour, will you give me your promise?"
"What we need now is some new, fresh clichés."
On his longtime friend and partner, Louis B. Mayer: "The reason so many people turned up at his funeral is this: they wanted to make sure he was dead."
"Every director bites the hand that lays the golden egg."
"Too caustic? To hell with the costs, we'll make the picture anyway."
"A wide screen just makes a bad film twice as bad."
"Flashbacks are a thing of the past."
"A hospital is no place to be sick."
"I don't care if my pictures never make a dime, so long as everyone keeps coming to see them."
"I'll give you a definite maybe."
"I read part of it all the way through."
"This new atom bomb is dynamite."
"You've got to take the bull by the teeth."
"Don't talk to me while I'm interrupting."
"Our comedies are not to be laughed at."
"Tell me, how did you love my picture?"
"I never liked you, and I always will."
"Don't pay any attention to the critics; don't even ignore them."
"If I could drop dead right now, I'd be the happiest man alive!"
"I never put on a pair of shoes until I've worn them five years."
"The scene is dull. Tell him to put more life into his dying."
"I was always an independent producer, even when I had partners."
"Go see it and see for yourself why you shouldn't see it."
"I'd hire the devil himself if he'd write me a good story."
"A producer shouldn't get ulcers; he should give them."
"For your information, I would like to ask a question."
"I may not be always right, but I'm never wrong."
"This makes me so sore it gets my dandruff up."
"When I want your opinion, I'll give it to you."
"A bachelor's life is no life for a single man."
"It's more than magnificent; it's mediocre."
On Fredric March: "I'm overpaying him, but he's worth it."
"Color television! Bah, I won't believe it until I see it in black and white."
"When everybody's happy with the rushes, the picture's always a stinker."
"We'd do anything for each other; we'd even cut each other's throats for each other."
"We want a story that starts out with an earthquake and works its way up to a climax."
"Why should people go out and pay to see bad movies when they can stay at home and see bad television for nothing?"
[Upon visiting the set of Dead End (1937), a film about life amid the grinding poverty of a New York City slum] "Why do directors always try to make slums so dirty? Clean it up."
[Garson Kanin on Goldwyn's legendary inability to remember names] "He called me 'Thalberg' all the time".

vtora написал 02 апреля 2007 03:41

I've passed a lot of water since then - по местной классификации, потенциально обсценная цитата

pavelpal написал 02 апреля 2007 03:53

Только в варианте we've pissed a lot of water under the bridges, но такого варианта, видимо, нет.

vtora написал 02 апреля 2007 03:57

to pass water = помочиться (эвф.), но с моста, конечно, красивее

pavelpal написал 02 апреля 2007 04:03

Ну да, я знаю этот эвф. (с 1965 года), но ведь это эвф., что же здесь обсценного, даже потенциально?

vtora написал 02 апреля 2007 04:14

если покопаться по форумам (цитатному и городских диалектов), выяснится, что потенциально обсценного в языке очень много.
И вообще люди потенциально обсценны, поскольку под одеждой они голые.

slony написал 02 апреля 2007 04:26

vtora
И вообще люди потенциально обсценны, поскольку под одеждой они голые.

Это прекрасно!!! )))))))))))

pavelpal написал 02 апреля 2007 04:53

Вот именно, древние греки, художники эпохи Возрождения и многие другие достойные люди считали, что под одеждой не обсценное, а прекрасное.

vtora написал 02 апреля 2007 04:58

что ставь смайлики, что не ставь, а результат один. "Никто меня не понимает" с)

*Irisha* написал 02 апреля 2007 05:08

Просто pavelpal забыл анекдот про "Прав был парторг: отвратительное зрелище!" :-)

В. Беликов написал 02 апреля 2007 05:12

Обсценны не все люди, лишь европейцы и приравненные к ним.
Старая история: Миссионер упрекал негров, что они ходят голыми.
А негры показывают на его лицо и говорят: "Ведь и ты тоже голый".
"Так ведь это лицо!"
"А у нас -- везде лицо".

pavelpal написал 02 апреля 2007 05:19

Я помню анекдоты, и я не пользуюсь смайликами. I prefer deadpan.

slony написал 02 апреля 2007 05:23

Что за анекдот? Расскажите...

vtora написал 02 апреля 2007 05:26

я раньше не пользовалась, но пришлось...

pavelpal написал 02 апреля 2007 05:44

Анекдот средненький, но пусть рассказывает *Irisha*.

*Irisha* написал 02 апреля 2007 07:16

Благодарю за оказанную честь рассказать средненький анекдот. :-)

Он действительно средненький, но заключительная фраза, на мой взгляд, удачно подходит в ситуациях, когда хочется выразить свое негативное отношение к чему-либо, но при этом не обидеть собеседника (естественно, если только собеседник знает анекдот, но даже если и нет – слово "парторг" отвлекает внимание на себя :-) ).

Советские времена. Муж собирается по путевке в капстрану. Перед этим, как водится, проходит инструктаж в парткоме. После инструктажа приходит домой жутко озабоченный. Ходил-ходил по квартире, а потом вдруг говорит жене:
- Зинк, ну-ка, включай музыку!
- Да зачем это?
- Включай!
(Она включила магнитолу.)
- Залезай на стол!
- Да ты в своем уме??!!
- Залезай!
(Зинка взгромоздилась на стол.)
- А теперь танцуй и раздевайся!
- ??!!
(Через несколько секунд)
- ...Да-а-а... Прав был парторг: стриптиз - отвратительное зрелище!

Сорьки, меня ПРП принудил (рассказать анекдот) :-))

pavelpal написал 02 апреля 2007 08:32

А кто Вам сказал, pavelpal и ПРП - одно и то же? pavelpal - это симулякр ПРП. У него, прежде всего, хуже характер.

vtora написал 02 апреля 2007 10:01

...старая глупая гувернантка, та самая, которая никогда не
выходила на улицу, потому что там можно встретить мужчин. А мужчины - это неприлично.
- Что ж тут неприличного? - говорили ей. - Ведь они ходят одетые.
- А под одеждой они все-таки голые! - отвечала гувернантка. - Нет, вы меня не собьете!
"Саванарыло", Ильф и Петров

http://lib.ru/ILFPETROV/ilf_fel.txt

*Irisha* написал 02 апреля 2007 10:10

pavelpal, а с чего Вы взяли что я, говоря про ПРП, имела в виду Вас? Скромнее надо быть. :-))

danielcje написал 15 марта 2016 01:35

Close